Reasons for a divorce: Nike affirme has broken off its partnership with Neymar because it refuses to cooperate in an investigation, after an employee has been accused of having sexually assaulted. Allegations of vertically rejected by the father of the star, whose image is still eccentric.
“Nike has ended its partnership with the sport because it has refused to cooperate in a good faith investigation into credible allotments of reprehensible deeds formulated by an employee”, Nike said in a statement issued to AFP on the night of Friday, May 28, confirming information from the Wall Street Journal (WSJ).
“The survey was not conclusive”, nevertheless wanted to specify the company based in Beaverton in Oregon, adding: “No set of facts has emerged that have allowed us to speak at the bottom of the matter. It would be inappropriate for Nike to make a statement of accusation without being in a position to provide facts to support ».
Separation “for commercial reasons”
Joined by the WSJ, the player’s spokesperson assured in a statement that “Neymar Jr. defends vigorously against these baseless attacks in the event that any allegation is presented, which did not arrive until present”.
And it has claimed that the two parties have been separate for commercial reasons, while they have been in pairs since 2019. “It’s very strange that a case was considered to have been produced in 2016, with the allegations made by a Nike employee, it was not revealed at the moment”, at-elle argué.
Neymar’s supportive spokesman explained: “It was not an insult, it was a way of chambers”
When Nike prematurely rescinded its sponsorship contract with Brazil in late 2020, after 13 years of collaboration, no reason was given.
In its communiqué transmitted to the AFP, the brand on the virgule explains “Was deeply troubled by the allegations of sexual aggression formulated in 2018 by one of its employees at the meeting of Neymar Jr.”, without specifying their nature.
Ronaldo and Bryant are also accused
Supporting testimonies and documents, the Wall Street Journal reports that this employee told friends that colleagues Neymar had tried to force a fellowship in 2016, while she was in it hotel room in New York, where she worked on the coordination and logistics of a promotional event.
“How can a new story come out? », insured Neymar Sr, father of the player, in the daily Folha de São Paulo, assuring that his sons “I do not even know this girl”.
“This is from Nike. It’s very strange, they take all Nike and are accused of tricks like that. It arrived at Cristiano Ronaldo, at the basketball gates who died, Kobe (Bryant), they were denigrated, as Neymar is accused of tort now. If Nike wants to do the blackmail, we’ll be Nike, then », at-il dit.
The American equipment company stated in its statement that it was ready to investigate in 2018 when its employee formulated these allegations, but that “Respects its initial desire to keep this confidential affair and to avoid opening an investigation”.
Neymar accused violently in Brazil
Nike therefore did not share information with the judiciary or any other third party until 2019, at which point the group hired lawyers to conduct an investigation, while the employee wanted to pursue this case.
This year, Neymar was accused of violating another woman in Brazil. What he had rejected with vehemence and the affair had finally been abandoned. At the time, Nike had expressed it “Deep preoccupation”, before assuring the player of his support once the dossier referred by the Brazilian police failure to prove.
Neymar extended his contract with PSG
Last year’s Forbes magazine ranked the world’s highest paid celebrity ($ 95.5 million, including sponsorship contracts), Neymar also knew of the tax breaks in Spain when he moved to FC Barcelona (2013 -2017).
All of this and its sense of celebration have consistently been new to the image of the 29-year-old attacker. Whoever did not buy it, almost immediately after the rupture of his contract with Nike, to engage with Puma to become the new gondola leader.